Tour de Farms!

Tour de Farms!

passport-cover (1)

We are thrilled to announce the first annual Ozark Natural Foods’ Tour de Farm, a weekend where our owners can visit nine local farms, meet the farmers, view different demonstrations at each site, taste products grown on the farm and literally tour de farm! Many of our owners place a premium value on being able to buy local produce from our store and we would like a way to connect our owners more closely with our local producers.

The tours will take place on Saturday and Sunday, May 17 & 18. Each farm will be open for two hours and the visits will include a tour, demonstration, snacks, and a time for questions and discussion. You can visit as many farms as you would like. Here is a list of the farms and the schedule for the tours:

Saturday, May 17th

9:00-11:00am: Herbal Simplicity with Bean Mountain Farms
317 E. Huntsville Rd, Fayetteville
Learn about herb gardening and cold frame construction.

10:00am-12:00pm: Harmony Gardens
8779 W Forest Hills Dr, Fayetteville
Learn about structured water, paramagnetic rock, and brix nutrition.

1:00pm-3:00pm: Tri-Cycle Farm
1691 N. Garland Ave, Fayetteville
Learn about composting, container gardening, soldier flies and chemical-free community farming.

4:00pm-6:00pm: Ozark Alternatives
Learn about straw-bale greenhouses, community supported agriculture, hoop houses and four season farming.

Sunday, May 18th

9:00am-11:00am: Across the Creek Farm
3106 W. Pear Lane, Greenland
Learn about pasture poultry.

9:00am-11:00am: Cobblestone Farm
5298-5526 W Wedington Dr, Fayetteville
Learn about their farm-to-school program.

11:30am-1:30pm: Ansel’s Produce
Pear Lane, Greenland
Learn about starting a farm and the next generation of farmers.

1:00pm-3:00pm: Ames Orchard
18292 Wildlife Rd, Fayetteville
Learn about backyard fruit production.

Tour de Farms is a free event but owners wanting to participate will need to register by May 3rd at our Owner Services Desk. Each participant will need to pick up a Tour de Farm passport the week of the event, which will include a map and a place where you can get stamped when you visit a farm. After you’re done with your tour, you will be able to turn in the passport at the Co-op. People who visit at least five of the farms will be entered to win a $100 shopping spree, and the person who visits the most farms will win a $150 farm and gardening kit with tools, seeds, soil amendments and other goodies (if several people tie for the most farms visit, we will do a drawing out of those who tied).

So join us on May 17th & 18th and experience first-hand where the food you love comes from. See you there!

This entry was posted in Co-op News, Events, Farm & Garden. Bookmark the permalink.

11 Responses to Tour de Farms!

1. Whitney Hughes says:

Do I have to be an owner to participate? I’d like to know where the food I purchase comes from, too I just cannot afford to be an owner right now.

2. Whitney Hughes says:

Do I have to be an owner to participate? I can’t afford the owner fee right now. I’d like to take my nieces to this and I think it would be a fun couple of days!

3. Alexa says:

Hey Whitney! You do not have to be an owner to participate. Thanks for asking!

4. Barbra says:

Thanks ONF, I’ve been interested in farm tours for a long time with reference to the small business aspect as well as food production.
    I’ll be getting my passport!
    I certainly wish we could get a passport through email.
    Barbra

5. Becca says:

A couple of the ones we were interested in are overlapping; is the tour the full two hours, or could we attend two that have similar time frames? Thank You!

• Alexa says:

Hey Becca! You should be able to attend both. We’ve asked the farmers to make the tours “drop in” style, where you would have a chance to visit them and not have to stay the full time.

6. Stephanie says:

I was super excited about this farms tour but was unaware of the registering part because I just saw a mention of this in this month’s citiscapes. Would it still be possible to register for the event?

7. Michele S. says:

I have the same concern as Stephanie ^. I am just now finding out about this and obviously have missed the registration deadline. Is it too late to sign up?
    Thanks!

8. Owen says:

Hey Michele! This event was so popular that we did run out of registered spots. We won’t be turning people away at the tours, though, if there are any you would like to attend. If you have any further questions, feel free to email me at owen@onf.coop.

9. Holly says:

This sounds like a great event! Unfortunately, this is the first I’ve heard about it. If you are putting together an email list, I’d love to receive an email about next year’s event.

• Owen says:

Hello Holly! We would be happy to keep your contact for next year! And we will work on getting the word out farther from the date next year. Thank you for the feedback!