Are you shopping in the Bulk section at Ozark Natural Foods? You can make a big difference in your family’s food budget, and a big difference in the impact you make on the environment, by simply buying bulk foods whenever possible.
Here are some benefits of buying in bulk:
1. Organic bulk foods on average cost 89% less than their packaged counterparts. Bulk foods also prevent a significant amount of packaging from entering landfills.
2. Bulk goods require less overall transportation to deliver to consumers. Bulk foods do not require the packaging components that must be produced and transported prior to being filled. And the transportation of bulk product to retailers is efficient because it can be packed more densely on a truck.”
3. The manufacture of paper and cardboard pulls trees from our forests, dumps contaminated water into our streams and uses enormous amounts of energy resulting in grotesque levels of CO2 emissions pumped into our atmosphere.
4. Food packaging may limit a consumer’s ability to buy in quantities desired which can result in food surplus and ultimately waste.
5. Although most natural food companies sell their food products in recyclable packaging, there are still some food companies that use non-recyclable materials. And some consumers choose not to recycle which creates additional burdens on our country’s landfills.
6. Packaging often limits a consumer’s ability to actually see the product they are buying.
7. In a grocery store, packaged products require more labor to ensure fresh product. Shelves must constantly be rearranged.
8. With bulk, product density at the store level can be significantly higher. So stores can provide a wider variety of foods in the same space.
So, as you can see there are a lot of benefits to doing your shopping in bulk. If you have any questions about our bulk section, please ask one of our knowledgeable staff members for help next time you’re in the store. Also look for our handy cards hanging in the bulk section that have tips for bulk food preparation.